The Competitions Chair of GECCO 2024 invites domain experts to submit proposals for organizing a competition at GECCO 2024. The deadline is:
- Proposals for competitions: November 2, 2023
- Acceptance Decision: December 7, 2023
If you submitted a proposal you can view it via the My Info page.
Competitions demonstrate how Evolutionary Computation and related techniques can be utilized in challenging practical, real-world and gaming settings. They also enable fair comparisons between algorithms and (for recurrent competitions) provide the possibility to follow the development of approaches over time.
We are offering the publication of short algorithm descriptions as 2-page contributions to the GECCO Companion. The competition organizers decide whether they want to offer this to the competition participants — the 2-page paper will require at least one author to register at the conference as a presenter. The deadline for these algorithm descriptions will be in April 2024, and they will be reviewed by the respective competition organizers. Your competition’s deadline can be after the 2-pagers are due, e.g. in June.
While fame and certificates attract some participants, others are attracted by prizes. We encourage the competition organizers to source sponsor prizes. The sponsors can either directly donate a prize to your competition, or they can sign up for an official ‘GECCO-level’ sponsorship (or a customized variant of one) where, of course, an agreement would be made that their donation is meant to sponsor (in part or in total) the competition. Please note that we are merely encouraging this as a way of attracting additional attention — it is not mandatory to have a sponsor, and we might even be able to organize a sponsor for you, if interested.
To submit a proposal click in the button below (you need to log in). Submitters should be prepared to provide the following information:
- The competition title. Please refrain from using special characters in the title.
- A description of the competition. This field will also be displayed on the website as the default description for the competition if it is accepted.
- The name, affiliation, email and short bio of the organizer(s). The first organizer will be the default contact person, but more organizers can be designated as contact person.
- (Optional) A URL with more info about the competition.
- The deadline for competitors to submit their artifacts/results (it can be after the 2-pages are due, if this option is offered to the participants).
- (Optional) If the competition has been held before, then also provide the web address of the last edition and what you will change in case you plan any changes.
- Description of any prizes and how they will be sourced.
- Description of the judging process.
- (Optional) How do you plan to encourage newcomers? Can you provide tutorials (incl. videos) to make the entrance easier?
- (Optional) What is the dissemination plan for the submitted artifacts (please explain how you would like to handle the potential issues related to intellectual property of the artifacts, if any).
- (Optional) Any other relevant information to evaluate the competition proposal.
Please log in to submit a proposal
- If you already have an account on this site, you need to log in. Please note that your user name is your email address. If you have an account from 2023, this account has been migrated. Conversely, that most user accounts from 2020 and before have not been migrated to the new website.
- If you don't have an account, you need to register a new account.
- A passcode is required, enter 'q2M1G!@f' (without the quotes).
- Confirm your email address and log in to the site.
Competition proposals will be reviewed by the Competition Chairs and other members of the GECCO 2024 organizing committee, based on GECCO attendees' and competitors’ likely interest, the breadth and the depth of the topic(s), and the expertise and credentials of the organizer(s).
The outcome of the review process is scheduled to be announced on December 7, 2023.
If you have questions regarding the competitions at GECCO 2024, please contact the Competitions Chair:
University of New South Wales (UNSW), Australia
Email: h.singh (at) adfa.edu.au
If you encounter issues or have questions about the Competition Proposal submission process on the GECCO website, please contact the Electronic Media Co-Chairs:
University of Adelaide, Australia
Email: hirad.assimi (at) adelaide.edu.au
Marcella Scoczynski Ribeiro Martins
Federal University of Technology - Parana UTFPR, Brazil
Email: marcella (at) utfpr.edu.br